Apple picking, pumpkin carving, haunted hayrides… we’ve done all of the other fun Fall activities and now Halloween is finally here! I can’t help but notice that almost all of my neighbors have put up their (very creative) outdoor decorations for Halloween, and I have to admit that my front porch is looking awfully sparse. But regardless, get your costumes and candy ready because All Hallows’ Eve is here!
Below I have listed a few Safety tips to keep in mind when trick or treating with your kids tonight!
1. Avoid trick or treating alone; always travel in groups and with an adult present.
2. Wear costumes and masks that fit appropriately to avoid the risk of falling.
3. Fasten reflective tape to costumes so that drivers can see you.
4. Avoid walking in the middle of the road; trick or treaters should only walk on sidewalks or the edge of the road if necessary.
5. Motorists should drive slowly and watch for children walking on roadways, curbs, & crosswalks.
6. Never enter someone’s home or vehicle.
7. Check all candy and wrappers before eating to make sure it was not tampered with.
8. Don’t eat too much candy!
9. & bring an umbrella because mother nature is calling for rain!
Did You Know?
● Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday, only second to Christmas.
● Halloween comes from an ancient pagan festival called Samhain which was celebrated by Celtic people over 2,000 years ago. The festival took place in the UK, Ireland, & northern France. Samhain means “summer’s end” marking the beginning of Winter.
● There are more than 35 million pounds of candy corn produced each year.
● The most popular Halloween candy predicted for 2019 in Rhode Island is Twix.
● The local record for largest pumpkin belongs to a Connecticut man who won the Great Pumpkin Weigh-Off at the Topsfield Fair at 2,294.5 pounds.
○ The Guinness World Record for Heaviest Pumpkin is held by Mathias Willmijns from Belgium weighing in at 2,624.6 pounds.
● The next full moon on Halloween night will be in 2020!
● The most popular pet Halloween costume is a pumpkin
● Spiderman has been among the most popular kids costumes for the past 3 years and is expected to rank high again this year along with Avengers characters/superheros, Princesses, & characters from The Descendents.
What is your favorite past Halloween costume??
Here is a throwback picture of me and my siblings on Halloween when we were younger. My mom loved the costumes so much that she had a professional picture taken!
Have a happy and safe Halloween!!