Keith Monchik, MD is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon with a subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine. He is a Rhode Island native and a graduate of Moses Brown School. He completed his general orthopaedic residency at Brown University where he was the recipient of the prestigious Haffenreffer House Staff Excellence Award. He obtained an advanced fellowship in orthopaedic trauma at Rhode Island Hospital, followed by a second fellowship in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, also at Brown University. Dr. Monchik currently serves as an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Brown University Warren Alpert Medical school.
Dr. Monchik has served as an Assistant to the Team Physicians of the Providence Bruins AHL Hockey Team, Brown University Collegiate Sports Teams and Rhode Island high schools. He has served on the Rhode Island Interscholastic League’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee.
Dr. Monchik is a partner in Orthopedics RI, the state’s largest private orthopedic group. He currently serves as a team physician for Johnson & Wales University, and several schools in the Rhode Island Interscholastic League. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), Rhode Island Medical Society, Rhode Island Orthopedic Society, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), and American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine (AOSSM). He was recently elected to the Council of Delegates for the AOSSM.
Dr. Monchik is a frequent lecturer, both locally and nationally, and has published numerous articles and book chapters on various topics in orthopedic surgery, sports medicine and arthroscopy. Several times he has served as an Associate Master instructor in shoulder and knee surgery at the national level for the Arthroscopy Association of North America as well as acting as a consultant within the medical industry for product development and testing.
Dr. Monchik is a past member of the Rhode Island Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT). Dr. Monchik has authored several journal articles and chapters on disaster response.
Dr. Monchik’s practice emphasis is adult and pediatric injuries of the shoulder and knee while also treating elbow, hip, knee and ankle injuries. He has a special interest in arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery, ACL and knee ligament reconstructions, shoulder instability, rotator cuff surgery, joint preservation, meniscal repair, cartilage restoration and complex extremity trauma.
- Undergraduate – Franklin and Marshall College, 1994
- Medical – Ross University School of Medicine, 2003
- Internship – Rhode Island Hospital, General Surgery, 2003-2004
- Residency – Rhode Island Hospital, Orthopaedic Surgery 2004-2008
- Fellowship – Rhode Island Hospital, Orthopedic Trauma, 2008-2009; and Rhode Island Hospital,
Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, 2009, 2010
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Rhode Island Medical Society
- Rhode Island Orthopedic Society
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine
- ABOS CAQ-Sports Medicine, 2013
- Assistant Clinical Professor in the Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School
Awards & Honors
- Brown University Haffenreffer House Staff Excellence Award
- 2nd Place Award: New England Orthopaedic Research & Educational Foundation Resident Research Symposium (2007)
- Annual Public Service Award – Hospital Association of Rhode Island (2001)