A Rhode Island native and board-certified orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Monchik’s interests include adult and pediatric injuries of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee and ankle. He has a special interest in arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery, ACL and knee ligament reconstructions, shoulder instability, rotator cuff surgery, meniscal repair, cartilage restoration, shoulder replacement and complex extremity trauma. His subspecialty in sports medicine has enabled him to assist the team physicians of the Providence Bruins AHL Hockey, Brown University Collegiate Sports Teams and Rhode Island high schools, and he currently serves as a team physician for Johnson & Wales University.
In addition, he lectures frequently and has published numerous articles and book chapters on various topics in orthopedic surgery, sports medicine and arthroscopy. He serves as an Associate Master instructor in shoulder and knee surgery at the national level for the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and co-directs a shoulder and knee arthroscopy course for engineers at the Depuy Mitek Learning Institute.
He has served on the Rhode Island Disaster Medical Assistance Team for 14 years and is a member of the Rhode Island Interscholastic League Medical Advisory Committee. He has also served on the Moses Brown School Board of Trustees and as the President of the Alumni Association.
- Undergraduate – Franklin and Marshall College, 1994
- Medical – Ross University School of Medicine, 2003
- Internship – Rhode Island Hospital, General Surgery, 2003-2004
- Residency – Rhode Island Hospital, Orthopaedic Surgery 2004-2008
- Fellowship – Rhode Island Hospital, Orthopedic Trauma, 2008-2009; and Rhode Island
Hospital, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, 2009, 2010
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Rhode Island Medical Society
- Rhode Island Orthopedic Society
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine
- ABOS CAQ-Sports Medicine, 2013
- Assistant Clinical Professor in the Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School
Awards & Honors
- Brown University Haffenfreffer House Staff Excellence Award
- 2nd Place Award: New England Orthopaedic Research & Educational Foundation Resident Research Symposium (2007)
- Annual Public Service Award – Hospital Association of Rhode Island (2001)